Registrations of electric vehicles (EVs) continue to rise in France, with a total of 45,883 units hitting the country’s roads in September. This surge in popularity is causing a gradual decline in the market share of petrol and diesel models. According to José Pontes, data director at EV-volumes.com, the EV market is experiencing significant growth, with battery-electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) accounting for nearly 30% of total registrations in September. While BEVs took a 66% share of the EV market, PHEVs held a 34% share. This trend suggests that BEVs will likely continue to dominate the market throughout the rest of 2023.
The decline of traditional fuel-powered vehicles is becoming more evident in France. Petrol models’ market share decreased from 37% to 34% this year, while diesel’s share plummeted from 14% to 9%. This is a substantial decline considering that diesel accounted for 72% of France’s new-car market in 2012. The rise of EVs and the decline of petrol and diesel models indicate a potential turning point in the French automotive market.
In terms of best-selling EVs, the Tesla Model Y took the lead with 5,035 registrations, followed by the Peugeot e-208 with a record-breaking 3,924 registrations. The Dacia Spring and Fiat 500e also performed well, but the Mercedes-Benz GLC PHEV stole the spotlight as the best-selling plug-in hybrid with 1,040 registrations. Additionally, the Renault Twingo EV and Citroen e-C4 achieved robust performances, contributing to the growth of the EV market in France. German automaker Volkswagen Group’s Skoda Enyaq and Audi Q4 e-Tron also showed promising results.
As for the brand ranking, Tesla’s market share slightly decreased in September, allowing Peugeot to close the gap. Peugeot’s strong performance with the e-208 propelled it to second place, while Renault maintained its third position. The MG brand is also gaining traction in the French market, positioning itself to challenge Dacia for fourth place.
Overall, the surge in EV registrations in France indicates a shift in consumer preferences towards more sustainable transportation options. With EVs expected to continue their dominance in the market, it is likely that France will see further advancements in the country’s electrification efforts.
1. What is the current market share of electric vehicles (EVs) in France?
In September, EVs accounted for nearly 30% of total registrations in France, with 45,883 units hitting the roads.
2. How do battery-electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) compare in the EV market?
BEVs hold a 66% share in the EV market, while PHEVs make up the remaining 34%.
3. What is the trend in the market share of petrol and diesel models?
Petrol models’ market share decreased from 37% to 34% in France, while diesel’s share dropped from 14% to 9%.
4. Which EV models are leading the market in France?
The Tesla Model Y is currently the best-selling EV in France with 5,035 registrations. The Peugeot e-208 follows closely with a record-breaking 3,924 registrations.
5. How are brands performing in the EV market in France?
Tesla’s market share slightly decreased, allowing Peugeot to close the gap. Peugeot’s e-208 performance propelled them to second place, while Renault maintained its third position. The MG brand is also gaining momentum and may challenge Dacia for fourth place.