A recent video circulating on the internet showcased a Tesla Cybertruck struggling to climb up a dirt grade in a California off-road park. In response, Ford CEO Jim Farley tweeted a video of the Ford F-150 Lightning easily tackling the same hill. While this gesture was meant to highlight the capabilities of the F-150 Lightning, the reality is that the Cybertruck is likely to outperform it off-road.
The Cybertruck, despite its current limitations, has the potential to vastly improve its traction control system with a simple software upgrade. Meanwhile, the F-150 Lightning’s traction control system is already reasonably effective, but it falls short when it comes to off-road geometry. The Cybertruck’s design and air suspension allow for better ride height adjustment, addressing one of the most crucial factors in off-road performance. The F-150 Lightning, on the other hand, has a lower ground clearance and a longer wheelbase, limiting its maneuverability on rugged terrain.
While the F-150 Lightning serves its purpose as an electric pickup truck in the current market, it is far from optimized for off-roading. Future iterations of Ford’s full-size EV pickup are likely to feature an improved battery integration and air suspension, eliminating the compromises faced by the Lightning. In comparison, the Cybertruck’s design allows it to excel in off-road geometry without sacrificing range or on-road performance.
When it comes to a head-to-head comparison, it is highly probable that the Cybertruck will leave the F-150 Lightning behind in terms of off-road capability. While the Lightning may have its strengths, it cannot match the combination of geometry and performance that the Cybertruck has to offer. As Tesla continues to refine and develop the Cybertruck, it is evident that it will have the last laugh in the competition with Ford.
1. Will the Tesla Cybertruck be better than the Ford F-150 Lightning off-road?
– Yes, due to its superior geometry and potential for improved traction control system.
2. What are the limitations of the Ford F-150 Lightning’s off-road capability?
– The F-150 Lightning has lower ground clearance and a longer wheelbase, impacting its performance in rugged terrain.
3. What advantages does the Tesla Cybertruck have in off-road performance?
– The Cybertruck’s design and air suspension allow for better ride height adjustment, addressing one of the most crucial factors in off-road capability.
4. Will future iterations of the Ford F-150 Lightning improve its off-road capabilities?
– It is anticipated that future iterations of Ford’s EV pickup truck will feature better battery integration and air suspension, addressing the limitations of the current model.