Honda is making waves in the automotive industry with its plans to introduce its India-made mid-sized SUV, Elevate, in the Japanese market next year. This will mark a significant milestone as it will be the first time a product manufactured by Honda Cars India Ltd (HCIL), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Japanese firm, will be exported to the highly regulated Japanese market.
Elevate, which made its successful debut in India earlier this year, is scheduled for a Spring 2024 launch in Japan under the brand name WR-V, according to an HCIL spokesperson. The strategic decision to manufacture the model in India and export it to Japan highlights the manufacturing capabilities of Honda’s operations in India. It also solidifies the company’s vision of making the country a key export hub in Honda’s global business.
The Tapukara-based production facility in Rajasthan, India, is responsible for rolling out Elevate. The plant is fully equipped to cater to both domestic and export requirements, ensuring a seamless production process. This move demonstrates the confidence that Honda has in its Indian operations and the quality of vehicles produced there.
In addition to Elevate, HCIL has plans to introduce five more SUV models in the Indian market by 2030. The company is also looking to launch a battery-electric version of Elevate within the next three years. With these ambitious goals, Honda aims to cater to the evolving needs and preferences of Indian consumers, while also contributing to the country’s vision of sustainable mobility.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Is Elevate the first SUV model to be exported from India to Japan?
– Yes, Elevate will be the first SUV model manufactured by Honda Cars India Ltd (HCIL) to be exported to Japan.
2. When will Elevate be launched in the Japanese market?
– Elevate is scheduled for a Spring 2024 launch in Japan under the brand name WR-V.
3. How many SUV models does HCIL aim to introduce in India by 2030?
– HCIL aims to introduce a total of five SUV models in the Indian market by 2030.
4. Does Honda have plans to launch a battery-electric version of Elevate?
– Yes, Honda plans to launch a battery-electric version of Elevate within the next three years.
5. What type of engine does Elevate possess?
– Elevate is powered by a 1.5-litre petrol engine, paired with either a six-speed manual or a seven-speed continuously variable transmission (CVT).