Are American Motorists Really Ready for Electric Cars?

According to a recent survey conducted by Kelley Blue Book and Atomik Research, American motorists may not be as ready for electric cars as headlines suggest. Despite the growing popularity of electric vehicles (EVs), the survey reveals some key misconceptions and concerns among consumers.

One of the main misconceptions uncovered by the survey is the belief that electric cars have limited range. Fifty-two percent of respondents believed that an electric car could travel 200 miles or less on a full charge. However, the reality is that many EVs on the market today have a range of 250 to 300 miles. Models like the Nissan Ariya, a midsize SUV, can even exceed 300 miles of total driving range. This shows that range anxiety, the fear of running out of power, may not be as much of a concern as previously thought.

However, there are still valid concerns surrounding EVs. The survey found that 65% of respondents consider global emissions when making their car purchase decisions. Interestingly, 63% of those surveyed said that a hybrid vehicle would better suit their needs. This suggests that consumers are aware of the alternative options available for reducing emissions, not just limited to electric cars.

Another concern raised by respondents is the charging time of electric vehicles. Seventy percent admitted to worrying about how long it takes to fully charge an EV. While fast chargers can replenish 80% of a battery’s capacity in 30 to 40 minutes, the remaining 20% may take another 30 minutes or more. This anxiety over charging time is a valid concern that needs to be addressed to increase EV adoption.

The survey also highlighted a lack of knowledge among consumers when it comes to buying an EV. Sixty-two percent admitted to not knowing the right questions to ask when purchasing an electric car, while 71% were unaware of how EV tax credits work. To address this, Kelley Blue Book has created an electric vehicle buying guide to help educate and assist potential buyers.

Despite these concerns and misconceptions, there is hope for the future of electric cars. The survey revealed that 75% of millennial buyers and 78% of Gen Z buyers consider vehicle emissions when making their next vehicle purchase. With the availability of more low-emission options, such as EVs and 100-mpg hybrids, consumers have multiple choices to reduce their environmental impact.

It is clear that further education and awareness are needed to dispel misconceptions and address concerns surrounding electric cars. By providing accurate information and addressing the valid worries of consumers, the shift towards electric mobility can continue to progress.

– Kelley Blue Book survey conducted by Atomik Research
– Nissan Ariya: